HISTORY OF TONGAN PEOPLE??

Share your feelings or ask questions about the culture.

Moderator: admin

Postby Mars Gurl! » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:11 am

# 1 Stunnah, That is soooo right! How come we don't eat rice? LOL! If we came from South East Asia. Just on the topic of terrace tombs there are some of them in Savaii in Samoa apparently, I was unable to see them with my own two eyes but the Samoans we talked with at one of the hotels over there said that it was built by the Tongans and could be a resting place for a king or chief? It makes you wonder what the Tongans were doing over there in Samoa? LOL!

C YA
Tia aka Mars Gurl!
Mars Gurl!
PT Jr. Member

Postby DumbBongan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 am

Not adding fuel to any fire that exists among Hamos and Tongans but I read somewhere that Tongans had conquered a few parts of Samoa. If you read up on our history its really not hard to believe. Afterall, had it not been for Christian missionaries Tonga would have conqured almost every inch of Fiji. For those that still question the DNA evidence heres a site that provides the linguistic proof of an Asian ancestry. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8908/fir ... rames.html
Pay particular attention to the Tetun dialect from Indonesia. If the link doesnt work go to yahoo and type in Austronesian.
DumbBongan
PT Jr. Member

Postby The #1 StunnaH » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:26 am

Yeah...I read about that too.Mars gurl...I have seen the picture of the pyramid in samoa..I forgetthe name,they had a palangi dude who was researching it,but he died and his wife is still doing his work.....But from what I know it has been covered up by foliage and jungle.hard to see.But the terraces are strange especially with the haamonga and all those things like stone hedge,very intresting stuff.I would have thought the staple of asians is rice right?and polynesians have talo.I do know that there are some filipino foods that are like tongan foods,like lupulu,the filipinos call it laiing or lyeing...some something like that,I can't spell it,but its the same thing as lupulu/////
afarian wrote:Real Tongan fathers drink kava, not mugs of milo. :mrgreen:
The #1 StunnaH
PT President

Mars Gurl!

Postby Mars Gurl! » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:47 pm

#1 Stunnah, You sure know about the different foods! LOL! Hmmmm Asian Lupulu I wonder what that tastes like? Anyways sticking with the topic, awwwww you seen the pyramid in Savaii! so unfair! I knew I should have looked at it while i had the chance! LOL! Speaking of the ha'amonga I heard that the Uveans brought the huge rock formations to build the Ha'amonga A Maui but the Uveans say that it was the Tongans, theres a place in Uvea where there are huge missing slabs of coral missing! Just like those you see in Samaletane in Hihifo on Tongatapu except its a smaller scale.
Speaking on a different subject a lot of Pacific islands have historical connections to Tonga, such as Tuvalu, Rotuma, Lau Group (Fiji), Niue and the Northern Cook Islands. This certainly contradicts what the Samoans say about no Tongan connections to the rest of Polynesia.

Just my thoughts!
Tia aka Mars Gurl
Mars Gurl!
PT Jr. Member

Postby TeineTonga » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:09 pm

Mars Gurl! wrote:# 1 Stunnah, That is soooo right! How come we don't eat rice? LOL! If we came from South East Asia. Just on the topic of terrace tombs there are some of them in Savaii in Samoa apparently, I was unable to see them with my own two eyes but the Samoans we talked with at one of the hotels over there said that it was built by the Tongans and could be a resting place for a king or chief? It makes you wonder what the Tongans were doing over there in Samoa? LOL!

C YA
Tia aka Mars Gurl!

Mars Gurl, I know what you're coming from about those tombs in Samoa...those are usually made for royalty or matais.
TeineTonga
PT Rookie

That is sooo interesting TeineTonga!

Postby Mars Gurl! » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi TeineTonga,
There doesn't seem to be that many tombs in Samoa as there are in Tonga, correct me if I'm wrong? If there are we didn't see many, unless our tour guide didn't know where he was going! LOL! Maybe there are more in Amerika Samoa? Another connection to Tonga that I found out was the Lotu Tonga, which is apparently the church that the Tongans established in Samoa, I don't know what it was called though?
By the way you so lucky you have connections to Tongatapu (Hihifo), I am full Niuafo'ou! LOL! Nofo 'ova pe 'i Tongatapu! LOL!
C YA,
Tia
Mars Gurl!
PT Jr. Member

Postby The #1 StunnaH » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:00 am

I had a question....you know the tapa cloth?how it has those kupesi and desighns..what is that bird?Is that an eagle?It looks like an eagle to me..where did they get the eagle from ?There are no eagles in tonga....if its not an eagle..I must be sounding pretty retarded right now.....I better go now
afarian wrote:Real Tongan fathers drink kava, not mugs of milo. :mrgreen:
The #1 StunnaH
PT President

I think I can answer your question?

Postby Mars Gurl! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:04 pm

The #1 StunnaH wrote:I had a question....you know the tapa cloth?how it has those kupesi and desighns..what is that bird?Is that an eagle?It looks like an eagle to me..where did they get the eagle from ?There are no eagles in tonga....if its not an eagle..I must be sounding pretty retarded right now.....I better go now

Thats not retarded at all! Actually that bird is the lupe or the bird of peace, a christian motive which many say was introduced in the late 1800's during the reign of his majesty Tupou the 1st. Traditionally our motives are geometric like the kupesi you mentioned so you can decide whether the bird of peace or lupe is traditional or not? If you still think its not the one I'm talkin about then maybe you can show us what this bird looks like, but thats the only bird I remember thats on the tapa cloth. Hope that helps.

Tia
Mars Gurl!
PT Jr. Member

Its part of history!

Postby Mars Gurl! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:17 pm

DumbBongan wrote:Not adding fuel to any fire that exists among Hamos and Tongans but I read somewhere that Tongans had conquered a few parts of Samoa. If you read up on our history its really not hard to believe. Afterall, had it not been for Christian missionaries Tonga would have conqured almost every inch of Fiji. For those that still question the DNA evidence heres a site that provides the linguistic proof of an Asian ancestry. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8908/fir ... rames.html
Pay particular attention to the Tetun dialect from Indonesia. If the link doesnt work go to yahoo and type in Austronesian.

Hmmm Maybe thats why Tongans and Samoans don't get along sometimes! But yes its true that Tonga did conquer some parts of Samoa, however the Samoans like to remember the defeat of the Tongans of which a plaque or monument has been erected, I think it is located in Mulifanua on Upolu? I am not sure, hope a Samoan can shed some light on this? I never saw the monument while I was in Samoa so can't say for sure? Anyways its suppose to be a monument to when Tongans were driven out of Samoa and the Malietoa kingship or chiefly line began. "Malietoa, malietau!" is what the departing Tongans said as they left Samoa and promising to return as friends!

Thanks,
Tia aka Mars Gurl,
P.S: I will check that linguistic ancestry to Asia sounds interesting.
Mars Gurl!
PT Jr. Member

Previous

Return to Tongan Culture