Meaning of Tefua 'a Vaka Lau Tala please...

Discuss the writings in the Tongan Language Journal section.

Moderator: admin

Meaning of Tefua 'a Vaka Lau Tala please...

Postby Seanomads » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:36 pm

A lot of beautiful Tongan writing and stories grace this wonderful Forum... Before I venture any further though in reading and appreciating your wisdom and knowledge... Can anyone please be ever so kind as to explain the meaning of this forum's namesake?... Origination?... From whom?... Clan/Family?... King?... Village/Island?... My gratitude for any replies.... Malo.

p.s. Japanese steak and mucho eel sake at Yoshi's on Vine for your enlightenment?
;)
Seanomads
PT Member

Postby Fotu'Aika » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:47 pm

"Tefua-'a-Vaka-Lautala," is a Tonga language journal established in 'Planet-Tonga' to publish writings in our Tongan language. The purpose of this language journal is to support writing in our Tongan language and to help maintain and enrich our indigenous language.

Meaning of the phrase, Tefua-'a-Vaka-Lautala: "Lautala" is known in the oral tradition of Hâ'ano, Ha'apai as a famous seaport known for constructing canoes. Probably the phrase was used in ancient times when the canoes gathered at the seaport of Lautala (Hâ'ano) to undertake an important work. This phrase means the gathering of skilled and experienced people (canoe builders) to undertake a tremendous and difficult task. The work of maintaining and enriching our Tongan language within globalization is a difficult task, but it can be done if we work together. In this space era, we sail in cyberspace to a new seaport (website) to work on maintaining our native language.

(copy and pasted from PT main page)
ko hai ho teti?
Fotu'Aika
PT President

Postby Seanomads » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:08 am

Bravo… Bravo indeed… What a wonderful story… So that’s the meaning... Bravo… Bravo… My deepest gratitude for your enlightenment… I’ll be forever in your debt … *I was blind…but Lord… now I see… I was let astray by the devil himself…but now kind Lord… you’ve touched me and now I am free*…as Ray Charles would say… I guess… all I can say is… Malo.

p.s. Wait… interesting… in Ha’ano you say?

Tefua ‘a Vaka Lautala…interesting…This Ha’ano Port story … the basis of this traditional phrase like so many others… to me… are always presented in a way to assert definite historical accuracy… I kinda think that is a bit troubling… Folks like me get easily lost in theories…hypothesis and interpretations sometimes based on pure assumptions filled with great deal of contrary data… This story to me just don’t add up… The assertion is not defensible and no factual source to grant it historical solidity therefore…though fascinating and appealing in a Romeo and Juliet kinda way… It is baseless and therefore render any interpretation or meaning metaphorically or otherwise inaccurate… Did you know there was never a Port called Lautala in Ha’ano?... Though I enjoyed reading this thread immensely... and I admit it is literally impressive with the diaspora thing going on and the web is our new *Lautala*… and all that... and with all due respect to Mr.Ka’ili, fellow Lo’aus, THS and various other Tefua Societies… Ha’ano’s old guards mock this tale with great pride… *Ma’u e taha ‘a Lulu he kau Tonga ta’e sikulu*… They would say… Name a great Composer… Author… Conductor… Teacher… Educator… of anything traditional Tonga… and I’ll call him/her a man or woman of Ha'ano... and a descendant of Ula and Leka... Lulu is credited with the phrase and he was all that and more… and Lulu's meaning?... that's for another day... Dr.Moon... come out and play now...I see you... lol... Malo.
;)
Seanomads
PT Member

Postby MACHO MAN » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 am

The great thing about oral traditions, is that stories are always changing depending on who's the narrator. But as written and "oral" traditions merge, there can be conflicting arguments as to what is "correct" and what is not. And as folks from oral traditions take their cultures and try to interpret it on a western perspective's platform, there could be a few conflicts along the way.

For example...If MACHO MAN was ever to go to Harvard and write his Phd dissertation on the 10,000,000 meanings of the word 'OFA, would my supervisor at Harvard know what the heck I'm talking about? So, MACHO MAN would graduate, and return to Tonga to be venerated by the people as a great scholar when in fact I know d*ck all.

Who would forget Margaret Mead's "Coming of Age in Samoa".

Just thinking,
MACHO MAN :P
MACHO MAN
PT Sr. Member

Postby Aphrodite » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:25 am

*pulls up a chair, pen and papers to take notes, popcorn is ready, malie MACHO and Seanomads e dialogue*

lol@you calling up Mr. 'O Moon! let me see if I can get him in here!
Aphrodite
PT Queen/King

Postby MACHO MAN » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:53 am

Aphrodite wrote:*pulls up a chair, pen and papers to take notes, popcorn is ready, malie MACHO and Seanomads e dialogue*

Aphrodtie,
Na'u ki'i afe mai pe au ia ki heni 'o fakasiosio pe na'e lava ha fetu'utaki 'a seanomads moe ki'i fefine ko ena mei Hoi na'a ne kaiha'asi hono fo'i mafu. The topic is way too cerebral for me, as I just barely made it out of GPS Fasi. Fu'u valekua 'aupito.

MACHO MAN
PT Sr. Member

Postby Seanomads » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:34 am

What's happenin' all?.... Moon is this you?....is it?... Do that Samoan siva move you're so famous for.... lol... Forgive me my faikava friend but this time.... IF... this is you... I find your approach to this matter quite irrelevant.... and also...how do you say?.... confusing?.... lol .... what would Helu say?.... *You're suppose to answer... not piggyback a question on top of another*... lool... and I can hear him say it too...lol... expanding the topic aimlessly without sufficient modifications to offer it historical foundation and clarity is unlike you.... but I guess that's okay.... I brought this up because the phrase is so overused and overspinned that I'm afraid in a few years... a kid can attach it as a sign to a iced coconut cart in Talamahu and it'll be perceived as a factual parallel metaphor and thus conform to a fairy tale interpretion that will be...again...perceived as normal and accurate.... It's misinformation and historical overeaching without factual basis be it oral or written.... Margaret Meads' perpectives as compared to the topic is irrelevant and doesn't apply.... The true meaning of the phrase itself is exquisitely rich but I guess you have to be from Ha'ano to know that... lol...Nothing against Tefisi my friend ... lol....... Hey Moon.... why you guys do Alani like that for man?....Died laughing after I spoke with Sea....lol lol lol...I'll be in town in a Month and we'll chat this up at the club k?.....Always my regards and I'll see you then kind sir...Malo..

Aphrodite.... Got mail?...lol...Thank ya see ya...

p.s. If this is not Moon....Macho you from Fasi?..... Run to Siaosi Lopeti's store and get me a smoke and a coke....and...wait a minute...man... Button your shirt and pull up your pants... and wait...man...comb your hair.... and tell someone at home your shorts got a big hole in the back....Now run... lol...Kidding.
;)
Seanomads
PT Member

Postby MACHO MAN » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:11 am

Masi'i Seanomads,
Koe ha koa e faikehekehe 'oe fananga moe mo'oni? Kapau tete faikava 'i Ha'ano, 'e kehe pe 'a 'enau ngaahi talanoa 'a nautolu ia, pea 'oku ou tui au ia tenau pehee pe koe fo'i mo'oni taha pe eni ia. Pea 'oku ou tui au ia koe me'a tatau pe 'e hoko 'o kapau tete faikava 'i Tefisi, kae hili ia koe fo'i kaveinga tatau pe.

And in another lifetime, the expression "Tefua-'a-Vaka-Lautala", could become "Telefua-'a-Vaka-mo-Lautala", and this would be interpreted by the people as the truth. :lol: But this is also the beauty of oral traditions, because it is alive, and will forever change with the story teller.

Who is this Moon guy? MACHO MAN has a full head of hair, and doesn't wear reading glasses. Hehehe.

Ko eni na'u lele atu ki he falekoloa 'o Siaosi Lopeti, pea talamai 'e Vina ke totongi ho mo'ua pea toki 'omai ha'o fakatau. lol

Last edited by MACHO MAN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MACHO MAN
PT Sr. Member

Postby Aphrodite » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:14 am

Hey MACHO, you got dreads now? :?

Kuo ha seanomads? kuo found ho fu'u fefine mei Hoi? LOL

Seanomads! fai mo alu o claim ho prize kae tuku ho laupisi ee. Sorry 'ikai good enough ma'a koe 'eiki sea, lmaoooo! :) Koe ki'i T-shirt pe keke tui ki ho'o next faikava with Mooni :wink: Don't thank me, they were sold on your 'looking' post!! hahahaha! :lol:

keep it coming you two!!

`dite
Aphrodite
PT Queen/King

Postby MACHO MAN » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

dite...
Na'u pehee 'e au ia koe ki'i uiui faikava mai eni 'a seanomads kia Reverend Sun Myung Moon, ta koe ko 'ene 'uhinga 'ana ia kia Toketa O'Moon...My dreads are in the top draw of my dresser. lol

MACHO MAN
PT Sr. Member

Next

Return to Tefua-'a-Vaka-Lautala