Samoa beats Tonga (Rugby League World Cup 2008) DAM!

Discuss sports, health, and fitness topics.

Moderator: admin

Samoa beats Tonga (Rugby League World Cup 2008) DAM!

Postby California » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 pm

Samoa beats Tonga 20-12 in Rugby League World Cup match

Watch footage of the game here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeFM6icaxTY

We may have lost but man our war dance was nice.

SYDNEY, Australia - Centre George Carmont's try - the only scoring of the second half - helped Samoa to a 20-12 win over Tonga on Friday in a Pacific Islands grudge match at the Rugby League World Cup.

Tonga, which beat Ireland 22-20 in its opening match Monday, had the bulk of early possession but trailed 10-0 at Penrith in western suburban Sydney. It was Samoa's first match of the tournament.

Captain Nigel Vagana scored a 90-metre intercept try and Bulldogs National Rugby League star Matt Utai added a second as Samoa led 14-12 halftime after winger Francis Meli had given Samoa a 4-0 lead after three minutes.

Tonga hooker Tevita Leo-Latu scored his team's first try and centre Michael Jennings the other after taking a flick pass from Tony Williams, who provided Tonga's other points with two goals.

The match featured several big hits and crunching tackles. Samoan prop Kylie Leulau'i was placed on report by referee Shayne Hayne for a high tackle on Tonga fullback Fetuli Talanoa in the first half.

The prelude to the match between the traditional rivals was fiery. The singers of the national anthems walked off arm in arm with their national flags in a show of unity, but there was nothing friendly about the threatening war dances each team performed minutes later.

Samoa did their Maori haka-style dance first, proceeding from their 35-metre line up to the 50. They stood at the halfway line while Tonga did a similar dance, but despite much screaming, mock slitting of throats and swordplay, order prevailed as neither team crossed the mid-field line.

At the end of the match, fans invaded the pitch, forcing a television interview with Michael Jennings of Tonga to be cut short when spectators began jostling with the interviewer and Jennings.

Vagana said the win was one of his career highlights.

"The rivalry is instilled into you when you are born," Vagana said. "It's something that we always have and it's always within us. Trying to stay focused and not let the emotion take over can be a stretch."

"It's to the credit of us and the Tongans that we played a very disciplined game, no fights, no brawls or anything like that."

Samoa coach John Ackland praised Tonga for its defensive effort in the second half.

"We always thought that they would tire but, to their credit, they didn't. They kept defending their line with tremendous courage," Ackland said.

In other weekend matches, Fiji will play its first match of the tournament on Saturday against France, which beat Scotland 36-18 in its opener. Also on Saturday, New Zealand meets Papua New Guinea.

On Sunday, unbeaten Australia and England meet in Sydney. Australia beat New Zealand and England downed Papua New Guinea last weekend.

The final is scheduled for Nov. 22 in Brisbane.
Last edited by California on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California
PT Member

Postby vaini_valeaa » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:22 am

:( oi, seriously that game did HEADS! :twisted:
"It was all a dream, i use to read word up magazine"
vaini_valeaa
PT Queen/King

Postby superfly » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:36 pm

After a whole week of sledging my Samoan workmates I can't bare to face them on Monday.

Sure they'll be diplomatic about it and say that it was a good effort and all. But their tongue will be firmly in their cheeks. darn!!! The boys needed to show a bit more passion. But it's just a game and there is always tomorrow.

Hats off to Tevita Latu though. He looked like the only one that was willing to do anything to win.
superfly
PT Jr. Member

Postby Winny » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:36 am

Hoi .. had to watch the slugfest with 40+ Samoan rugby players in a Melbourne pub and boy did they give it hard to us Tongans. (grrrrrr), it was worse enough that we on tour for a Samoan Tournament and all I had to wear was my Tongan supporters shirt & jersey + other Tongan gear. I really thought they would win and I even had a bet with one of the boys .. grrrrr *I wasted $40 of what was supposed to be my drinking money* lol.
-------

Jennings and Latu played out of their skins ... Feleti Mateo looked to have dropped his o0o somewhere, which was disappointing .. grrrrrrrr, I wanted someone to smash Vagana (hopefully before his 90m try lol).

I think we needed the likes Willie Tonga or Sika Manu and a good hard running forward. Kaufusi wasnt at his damaging best and Awen Guttenbeil lost his mojo a million years ago. Tuiaki and Fuifui could have made a huge difference if they were allowed to play.

All in All .. a few of the stats went our way ... Samoa had 42 missed tackles, compared to our 27 ... we more than doubled the amount of offloads the Samoans made. It just wasnt our night ... poor completion rates and just unlucky in not getting over the line. If I was Dymock, I would have left Awen out and left Manuokafoa there .. or used Lauaki a bit more ... poor fella was left to pick up the pieces at the end, it was too late for him .. so he started to vainga kovi lol.

Anyone know where to from here ? Do we still have a chance in getting into the semis ? Or do we now hold out to see the massive beatings of Tonga's Womens' League team ? hehe
Winny
PT President

Location: SITTIN ON TOP OF THE WORLD .. *tupetupe'i hoku va'e*

Postby vaini_valeaa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 am

true # Tuiaki & moimoi lol.

um, i heard if Ireland beats Samoa Tonga's still in there. doubt Irelands gona win, if they do, i'm straight gona wear Ireland T-Shirt all week :D
vaini_valeaa
PT Queen/King

Postby The #1 StunnaH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:56 pm

right on for the video clip,was pretty good.
afarian wrote:Real Tongan fathers drink kava, not mugs of milo. :mrgreen:
The #1 StunnaH
PT President

Postby Winny » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:27 am

Ireland smashed Samoa tonight ...

34-16

I think we needed Ireland to win but not by that much for Tonga to go to the top of the table !! LOL grrrrr

So I guess we're out.

WoWzers@Ireland !! Who would've known !!!!!
Winny
PT President

Postby The #1 StunnaH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Right on winny,so what,we still good or no?
afarian wrote:Real Tongan fathers drink kava, not mugs of milo. :mrgreen:
The #1 StunnaH
PT President

Postby Winny » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm

Nawww We're out !!

I think we needed Ireland to win but by no more than 5 points.

5yrs til next World Cup (lol) !!! Imagine the team Tonga wil have then !!
Winny
PT President

Postby vaini_valeaa » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Wuht! are you being serious Winny! :lol: - man, i can't beleive Ireland beat Samoa :lol::lol:
vaini_valeaa
PT Queen/King

Next

Return to Sports, Health, Fitness